Local Poet In Residence OpportunityRoundhouse Presents Voices Nationwide in association with Appetite and Stoke-on-Trent Libraries
Local Poet In Residence: Brief for Applicants
Appetite are thrilled to be teaming up with leading London arts venue and charity, The Roundhouse and Nationwide Building Society on Voices Nationwide, a national poetry project aimed at discovering hidden poetic talent.
We’re looking for a spoken word artist / poet based in Stoke-on-Trent or North Staffordshire to join us on this exciting project and become our ‘Poet in Residence’.
You will receive a bursary, facilitation experience with local community groups, opportunities to perform your work and professional development and mentorship from professional poet, Laurie Bolger and The Roundhouse with the aim of developing your skills as a professional poet or spoken word artist and facilitator.
- Work with Appetite, The Roundhouse and poet Laurie Bolger as local Poet in Residence.
- Work with Laurie, The Roundhouse and Appetite to coordinate and facilitate three poetry workshops for local people of all ages and a live showcase at The Big Feast ‘17.
- Support the mentoring of participants and local developing poets
- Perform original work as part of the live showcase alongside participants and professional poets.
- Act as an advocate for the project, spreading the word through networks; libraries etc.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of writing and performing original poetry (i.e. as an ‘emerging’ artist you have performed your work on a number of occasions but not necessarily as a professional)
- Some experience of and interest in facilitating poetry workshops and developing local poetic talent.
- A desire to develop your work professionally.
- Please note, to be considered for this role you must be aged 18 or over and resident in Stoke-on-Trent or North Staffordshire.
Workshops: Saturday 22 July; Friday 25 August and Saturday 26 August 2017
The Big Feast Poetry Showcase: Saturday 26 August 2017, 6pm
£800 + professional mentoring. As continuing professional development you will also be invited on a visit to The Roundhouse.
How to Apply
To be considered, please submit an application consisting of the following:
- A sample of your original poetry (3 written poems max)
- A short film of you performing your work (up to 2 mins)
- 500 words on why you would like to be our ‘Poet in Residence’
- A writing CV including any facilitation experience
- A completed monitoring form. Please download here: Monitoring Form
Deadline for applications: Monday 3 July 2017
Shortlisting by panel: Wednesday 5 July 2017
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
For enquiries contact us on email@example.com or call 01782 381373.
Submissions will be judged by a panel consisting of the Roundhouse Producer, professional poet Laurie Bolger, Appetite Creative Producer, Appetite Project Coordinator, and members of the Supper Club: a group of local community members who help programme The Big Feast.
This brief is available to download here: Local Poet In Residence Brief
Appetite is a large artistic programme that gets more people to experience and be inspired by the arts. Appetite is led by the New Vic Theatre in partnership with Partners in Creative Learning, 6Towns Radio and Staffordshire University. Appetite is part of the Creative People and Places programme supported by funding from National Lottery through Arts Council England. www.appetitestoke.co.uk
About Roundhouse and ‘Voices Nationwide’
Voices Nationwide is a partnership between the Roundhouse and Nationwide Building Society, which sets out to discover the stories of people across the UK and share them through spoken word
The Roundhouse is a hub of inspiration where artists and emerging talent create extraordinary work and where young people can grow creatively as individuals. We believe in the power of creativity to change lives. By giving young people the chance to engage with the arts through our music, media and performance projects, we inspire them to reach further, dream bigger, and achieve more. We do this because we believe creativity gives us freedom, hope and has the power to transform.
About Laurie Bolger
Laurie Bolger is a poet, presenter and creative workshop facilitator with a down to earth and accessible style. Laurie is a former London Laureate and released her first collection of work 'Box Rooms' in 2016. Laurie currently hosts BANG Said the Gun, London’s leading Stand-Up Poetry Night and has one multiple awards for her poetry radio show 'Round @ Laurie’s' on Roundhouse Radio. Laurie has performed at venues such as The Royal Albert Hall, Old Vic Theatre and 02 Arena as well as being Poet in Residence in schools libraries and Queen Elizabeth’s Olympic Park. In 2016 Laurie was appointed as a lead facilitator for Roundhouse and BBC 1Xtra's national project Words First. www.lauriebolger.com